Travelling to Canada
Welcome. This website is for new or returning students arriving from outside of Canada to begin or continue their studies at Fraser International College.
News and Updates:
Effective August 25, masks are required in all indoor common areas and learning spaces on all SFU campuses and across BC. The province also announced today the requirement for masks on transit. This is an important step as the community relies on transit. These health orders will hopefully increase the comfort level for everyone on campus.
FIC/SFU will use the BC Vaccine Card on our campuses beginning September 13.
On August 23, 2021, the Provincial Health Officer announced the BC Vaccine Card, which will be implemented beginning September 13 for discretionary activities and events during this period of high risk. The BC Vaccine Card will be required for those over 12 to prove vaccination for admission to some activities and events.
You will need to prove vaccination in order to:
- Live in student housing. (Note that the requirement for proof of vaccination for student housing comes into effect September 7)
- Participate in varsity and intramural athletics
- Use gyms or recreation facilities
- Attend student clubs, sports, theatre, performances and other FIC events
- Dine indoors or on patios at all dining facilities on campus
Other activities requiring proof of vaccination will be forthcoming. This is a complex system to put in place especially as we have students around the world. We are collaborating with SFU and Provincial Health to ensure there are efficient ways for students from other countries to meet the vaccination requirements. We know this may take some additional time with travel, quarantine arrangements and the vaccine card implementation. For this reason we have decided that the first two weeks of classes will be held remotely and in person classes will begin on September 22nd.
- Orientation for new students: September 7th (remote)
- First day of classes: September 8th (in-person classes held as remote synchronous classes)
- First face to face classes for in-person sections: September 22nd
Please remember that starting August 25th everyone is to wear a mask when you come to campus and to get vaccinated now if you haven’t already. Vaccination clinics on will be available on SFU campus and throughout the community. Please connect with an FIC Advisor if you have any questions.
Today’s announcements are about ensuring we have as many layers of protection as possible in place for the fall semester and our community safety. We all have a part to play in ensuring the in-person experiences this fall are safe for our community. Thank you all for taking the necessary steps.
Starting July 5th the Canadian Government has started to ease some of the travel restrictions for fully vaccinated traveler. Please read the travel guide and the following links for more details;
It is important to note that you will still need to provide a 14 day quarantine plan even if you feel you qualify for the new exemptions.
Government of Canada extends flight ban from India, July 21
The first ban was put in place on April 22nd for 30 days and was extended to June 21st and again to July 21st.
If you are travelling from any of these countries please adjust your travel plans and contact FIC if you have any questions or concerns.
Please find Air traveller requirements as mentioned on the Government of Canada Website
Travellers must still provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test taken up to 72 hours before their scheduled departure time.
As of February 21, 2021, at 11:59 pm ET, travellers, unless exempted, will also be required to:
- reserve a government-authorized hotel for 3 nights prior to departure to Canada
- take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival in Canada
- stay in the government-authorized hotel while awaiting the results of the COVID-19 molecular test taken on arrival
- pay for the cost of the hotel stay, as well as all associated costs for:
- infection prevention and control measures
Travellers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN.
Travellers will still be required to complete the remainder of the mandatory 14-day quarantine after their mandatory hotel stopover.
There are new restrictions for Air and Land travellers which will come into effect on February 22, 2021. It is extremely important that you understand the process for travelling to Canada. The current message from the Government of Canada is ‘Now is not the time to travel’. Please take the time to read the information about the travel restriction in place by visiting the following pages regularly as things are changing:
- News release by the Government of Canada
- Hotel Quarantine Measures for air travellers come into effect Feb.22: Trudeau
- Travel Restrictions in Canada
- COVID-19 Mandatory hotel stay for all air travellers arriving in Canada
- COVID-19 testing for travellers coming into Canada
- You can also check @Canborder, @travelGOC and @transport_GC on twitter
The Government of Canada has announced that there will be major travel restrictions coming into as soon as possible. One of these changes will start on Feb 3rd as all international passenger flights will land only in of the four following airports: Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Montreal. They have announced as well that as soon as possible there will be mandatory PCR testing at the arrival airport for people returning to Canada. After the testing travelers will have to wait up to three days at a government- approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense. For more information please read the following article and government website: CBC News Article and Government of Canada announcements from January 29.
Effective immediately, current Government of Canada regulations require that anyone arriving from outside of Canada must provide documentation of a negative covid19 laboratory test result to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. Individuals with a negative test result must still complete the full 14 day quarantine period. For detailed information about testing, please read the news release by the Government of Canada.
Students who are coming to Canada must complete the following steps:
- Read the FIC International Student Travel Guide.
- Complete the mandatory government BC Self-Isolation Plan prior to arriving to Canada.
- Complete the federal ArriveCAN application 72 hours prior to arriving to Canada.
- Complete a PCR COVID-19 Test with a negative result 72 hours prior to their flight.
- Book an approved hotel prior to departure for the duration of 3 days at your first point of entry. The approved list can be found here. The traveller will have to pay for the cost the hotel which will vary by location.
- Take a PCR COVID- 19 test at airport upon arriving to Canada.
- Take another Covid-19 test near the end of your 14-day quarantine.
If you are in need of financial assistance to help with costs associated with quarantine, you may apply for the Navitas Canada Financial Aid Bursary here. This bursary is open to students who will be in Canada.
All students are responsible for making themselves aware of the requirements and are required to follow the FIC Isolated or Quarantined Student Policy.
A Border Services officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada at the Port of Entry.
For more information regarding Frequently Asked Questions, Covid19 Policies and Procedures, and the Return to Campus Safety Plan, please visit the Covid19 Updates and FAQs page.