Your Guide to Transferring to SFU
If you are going into your transferring semester or even just planning ahead, you have put in a lot of hard work and have come a long way to get to this point. We want to support your transition to Simon Fraser University as much as possible and the most important thing you can do is be prepared and know what needs to get done to successfully transfer.
The following criteria are the minimum institutional requirements needed to transfer to SFU:
- 10 classes with a C- or higher, including 1 Writing "W" course and 1 Quantitative "Q" course
- 2.5 CGPA
- Course Repeat Policies
- Approved electives
- Program GPA (if applicable)
|Programs||Cumulative GPA||Program GPA|
|Arts and Social Sciences||2.5||2.5|
|Health Science (BA)||2.5||2.5|
|Health Science (BSc)||2.5||2.5|
|General FCAT (Double Minor)||2.5||2.5|
|Communications (Double Minor)||2.5||2.5|
|Contemporary Arts (Double Minor)||2.5||2.5|
|Print and Digital Publishing (Double Minor)||2.5||2.5|
|Communication and Business (Double Minor)||2.5||2.5|
|Interactive Arts and Technology (Double Minor)||2.75||2.75|
|Transfer Semester||Summer 2020||Fall 2020||Spring 2020|
|Application Semester||January 2020||May 2020||September 2020|
The SFU Transfer Guide helps to give students step-by-step instructions about how to correctly fill out the application through Education Planner BC. You can find this guide on your Student Portal > Students > Documents > SFU Information > SFU Transfer Guide - Summer 2020. It is very important to fill out the application correctly because mistakes may cause delays in your transfer to SFU.
Common Application Mistakes:
- Country of Citizenship: this is not the country you are studying this is the country where you hold a passport, so please make sure you do not accidentally say you are Canadian.
- Post-Secondary Institution: make sure you select Fraser International College, so SFU knows you are part of the pathway.
- Transfer Student: when it asks you what category best describes you, select transfer student.
- Program Choices: please read the transfer guide to see the exact name of your program and how it will appear in the application – the language can be very tricky especially for the Communications, Arts and Technology and Communication and Business programs.
- English Language Requirement: do not select the IELTS option! You must select a minimum grade of C- in an approved transferable English course.
- Quantitative Requirement: do not select 60% in grade 11/12 option! You must select a minimum grade of C- in an approved transferable quantitative course.
Do not try to log into goSFU with your Computing ID and password because it will allow you to enter but you will only see a blank page.
Watch this video to see How to Check Your Application Status.
- You need to check your To Do list on the top right of the page to make sure you have completed your tasks. Your application won’t be reviewed until you have completed your tasks.
- If you are meeting the GPA requirements for your program at the time of application, then you will receive a conditional offer approximately 4-6 weeks after applying.
- If you currently do not meet the GPA requirement yet then you will have to wait for your final transcript to be sent to SFU before you are able to receive an offer.
If I accept my 2nd choice will I still be considered for my 1st choice?
Yes, you will! However, you should only accept your 2nd choice if you would be willing to study that program, if you are not accepted to your 1st choice. If you would not study your 2nd choice, then you should not accept it because the $750 deposit is not refundable.
If you accept your 2nd choice and then later, you get accepted to your 1st choice based on your final grades, then your program will automatically be switched to your 1st choice.
If you only receive an offer for your 2nd choice and you do not want to study it, you can also consider coming back to FIC to raise your GPA to get into your 1st choice.
Watch this video to see How to Accept Your Offer.
Check out these SFU Help Video:
- While the minimum requirement is 10 courses with a C- grade, in order to achieve a 2.5 CGPA you will need to be achieve between a C+ (2.33 GPA) and B- (2.67 GPA) on average to meet this requirement.
- If you achieved a D grade in an elective class this can count for credit at SFU and can be transferred as an 11th or more class.
- To find out the designation of your classes whether it is a writing (W), quantitative (Q), a breadth humanities (B-Hum), breadth science (B-Sci), or breadth social science (B-Soc), check out the course description on the course catalogue
To support you during the application process, we will be hosting several online Zoom drop-in sessions:
Tuesday, May 26th: 9AM - 10AM & 9PM - 10PM (PST)
Wednesday, May 27th: 9AM - 10AM (PST)
Thursday: May 28th: 12PM - 2PM (PST)
Join Zoom Meeting https://navitas.zoom.us/j/98105261330
Unfortunately, if you missed the application window for the Fall 2020 intake, you will need to wait until the applications open for the Spring 2021 intake. Please speak to a Student Success Advisor for the next steps.
Conditional offers are only offered to students who currently have the CGPA required to transfer. For exmaple, if you are intending to transfer to Arts and Social Sciences and your current CGPA is 2.5 or higher, you will receive a conditional offer from SFU when they have assessed your current transcript.
If you are not eligible for the conditional offer, final offers are sent to students once final transcripts have been assessed, which will be during the inter-semester break period.